- Moong Dal
- Toor Dal
- Green-chilli paste
- Ginger garlic paste
- Mustard seeds
- Asafoetida (Hing)
- Spices (Turmeric, Red chilli powder)
- Add water and both the dal's (Moong dal and Toor dal) to the pressure cooker. Cook it on medium heat for two whistles.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add cumin, mustard seeds and a pinch of Hing. When it begins to sizzle, add 1 tablespoon of green-chilli paste along with 2 tablespoons of ginger garlic paste.
- Add chopped onions and wait till the colour turns a little darker. Add tomatoes and sauté it for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder and salt then sauté it for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal and add water as per consistency.
- Stir well and cook until it gets a good boil.
- Top it with chopped cilantro's, lemon juice and a spoon full of ghee.
Every recipe has a story behind it. I share my apartment with three other roommates and dal is a time-saver for us. While others knew how to cook proper dal, I was a total newbie at it. It took me several attempts to learn how to prepare a well-cooked dal. The first struggle was to boil dal, there were occasions when the stove would be filled with water running out of the cooker. Eventually, after boiling it for a couple of times I understood the ratio of water and dal. Then, there were times when my dal was too watery, way saltier and at times tasteless. But, after all those failures today I have finally mastered the recipe.
So this is my version of dal- simple, easy and tasty. Please try this recipe and let me know in the comments section how you liked it and don't forget to share your version of this recipe.
Until next time, Stay Happy, Stay Blessed!